Sunday, August 29, 2010

Benjamin Lacombe




Benjamin Lacombe is another French illustrator I discovered in France. I immediately fell in love with his rich, moody, and vibrant stylized gouache illustrations. When we were in Aix en Provenence, I was thrilled to find his children's picture book, "Les Amants Papillons" ("Butterfly Lovers") in a small book shop. The book is written in French, of which I only know a few words, but the illustrations are a sumptuous blend of color, drama, and design. The book is large, 15½" x 7" which is quite large by picture book standards. This allows for the full intensity of Benjamin's gorgeous illustrations with full spreads on many pages. Since this book is probably difficult to find in the US, here are some other titles he illustrated that are available on Amazon: "Lin Yi's Lantern" and " Cherry and Olive". You can see his work at his very creative website www.BenjaminLacombe.com



Check back for more posts on fantastic illustrators and their work!

4 comments:

suzanna leigh said...

Beautiful illustrations! Thanks for inroducing me to this illustrator!

Bobbie Dacus said...

Hi Suzanna, thanks for stopping by!

Kaili Ittensohn said...

I have such a thing for european illustrators. Their work always has such a fresh and interesting perspective!

Bobbie Dacus said...

I have a thing for them, too, Kaili.. I never get tired looking at their work!